How to fix error code 771 in Microsoft Office
You might see error code 771 while installing or opening Microsoft office in your computer. These error occurs due to registry corruption and bad sector error in the computer. The steps show how to fix error code 771 in Microsoft Office.
The mail causes of the issue are:
- Incomplete software installation.
- Proxy setting enabled
- Security software installed might block the new installation
- Pre-installed office program.
Follow the steps to fix the issue associated with error code 771 while installing Microsoft Office.
Step 1 – Fixing Office Installation Error Code – 771
Disable Proxy settings
The proxy setting enabled on your internet connection may also affect the installation of Microsoft office and pops the error code 771 while installing or opening Microsoft office from the online setup.
Follow the steps to disable Proxy settings:
- Press windows key and R key
- Type inetcpl.cpl
- In internet properties tap on connection
- Select LAN settings
- Uncheck the proxy settings
- Click Apply and OK
- Try installing Microsoft Office again
Disable anti-virus software
The antivirus software installed on the computer may also affect the network connection while installing Microsoft office and throws the the error code 771 while opening or installing Microsoft office. It also make the network connection to lag and make stream error and socket connection issues. The disabling of antivirus temporarily for installation of Office program is also a recommended step if not fixed in offline installation.
Steps to disable antivirus:
- Open antivirus console
- Tap on settings
- Select real time protection
- Turn off the real time protection and select until next reboot
- Try installing Microsoft office again.
Run a complete Disk clean up
Running disk clean up in the drive in which the program is installed will help to fix the error code 771 while opening or installing Microsoft office if they are causes due to lack of space.
Perform a disk clean up to remove the temporary files in the computer and then try installing the office program.
Follow the steps to perform disk clean up:
- Press Windows key + R
- Type cleanmgr in the run command box
- Select Drive C
- Select the temporary file folders listed in the disk clean up box
- Click Ok to proceed and clean up the temporary files
Uninstall and Reinstall
The pre-existing left over files of previously installed office program may also block the installation of office 2013, office 365 or office 2016 and throw the error code 771 while installing or opening Microsoft office 2013, office 365 and office 2016.
The pre-existing files and registry key in the computer will terminate the extraction and installation of the current installation software with something went wrong error message.
We could fix the issue by removing the pre-existing left over files and registry keys of previously installed office by removing the program completely.
Follow the steps to uninstall previous office program:
- Press Windows key + R
- Type appwiz.cpl in the run command box
- Check for previously installed or old office program
- Right click and remove the old program
- Try installing Office program again